We can all agree that relocation is difficult and stressful even in the best of circumstances. Local Kansas City home sellers call us or submit their house info on this website often saying “I’m relocating and need to sell my house in Kansas City “. The great thing is that we’re able to help a good many of those sellers sell their house quickly (because we’re actively buying houses in Kansas City right now!).
You may ask why these sellers don’t just list their house for sale on the MLS with a real estate agent. Well, there are many details to keep together, plus the stress of whatever is making you move in the first place – often it’s a new job, sick relative, marriage, or divorce but the true need to move always comes with a dramatic change.
So how do you make the most out of a difficult situation?
Don’t Agonize – Organize.
You don’t want to be in a situation where you end up paying to own and maintain a vacant house for months or years. That gets expensive and it doesn’t have to be that way.
Although the market is stable right now and favorable to sellers in Kansas City , things can change in the blink of an eye. We’ve not only heard some serious horror stories, but experienced this first hand in 2006. I moved to another city for a job and ended up with two mortgages for 9 months. I had to use credit cards to live on and then got into a huge amount of debt. It was awful!!
So how do you make the right choices when you’re relocating and need to sell your Kansas City house fast?
Relocating And Need To Sell My House Fast In Kansas City … Your Options And Steps
- Find out what your house is worth: To do this you can contact a reputable real estate agent or connect with us and we can give you a no cost no obligation valuation on your property. Once you know what the house may be able to sell for in the current market… that sets the basis for how long you may or may not be able / willing to sell the house.
- Decide how fast you need to sell your house after you relocate: This was what got me. I hoped for the best and thought I could swing a couple of months of two mortgages. Like me, many others have moved out of state for a job and had their house on the market for over a year before selling it for a much much lower price than they hoped. Decide how fast you need to sell your house and how long you’re willing to keep making 2 mortgage payments, insurance payments, etc.
- Find a solid real estate agent BEFORE you start packing boxes: Get the ball rolling early so you don’t waste any time. Every month that you wait or every month that it takes to sell the house… costs you money. Or if you don’t want to use a real estate agent to sell… we are local home buyers and we’d love to make you a fast-fair all cash offer. Just fill out the form through this link to get started >>
- Calculate the value of selling your house fast vs. “waiting it out” for the preferred price: We all want to sell our houses for as much as possible. But one thing many people forget to do is come up with the $ amount of how much it costs you to hold onto this house. The costs involved include the mortgage (which if you’re still within the first 10 years of the mortgage, the majority of your payment interest and not hardly going to principal at all), insurance, taxes, maintenance, etc. Here is an example for you to consider. Let’s say you want to sell your house for $200,000. Your mortgage payment is $1,200/mo, taxes $200/mo, $100/mo for insurance, and $100/mo for maintenance (lawn maintenance, repairs while you’re gone, etc.). Those expenses add up to $1,600/mo in “non equity building” expenses. If it takes you 7 months to sell that house through a real estate agent for that $200,000… it cost you $11,200 in DIRECT “holding costs” + you had to pay $12,000 in real estate agent fees (assuming 3% for the buyers agent and 3% for the sellers agent). This totals $23,200 in LOST money. That doesn’t even account for the value of your time, your stress in thinking about that property sitting on the market, the opportunity cost of what you could have been doing with that extra money during those 7 months, etc. So the real cost to you was likely closer to $30,000.But, what if you were to sell your house next week and avoid all of that? Even if you sold for a discount below the retail price (lets say… $175,000)… you’re still ahead of the game by selling the house NOW at a discount to a local Kansas City home buyer like Mastiff Home Buyers vs. 7 months later at full price (and paying holding costs and real estate agent fees).
- Take action!: Whatever you decide, create a plan and take action. If you want to go the real estate agent route, great! We can connect you to a reputable local Kansas City agent if you don’t have one already. If you’d rather not have to wait and not have to pay real estate agent commissions… then a viable option may be to sell your house to us 🙂
If you’ve got a lot of time on your side and a really great property, you might want to test the market by offering it out at a high price. If it is a great area, with great schools, there is a chance you might get offers very quickly.
Most properties are pretty average, in reality. They tend to be like the other houses around them. My house was no exception even though I had hoped that the new floors and paint would attract more buyers.
If you consider renting out your home, you may want to market your property for rent and sale at the same time, just to see what happens first. I chose not to try to rent my home because that seemed overwhelming to try to coordinate when moving and I knew nothing about renting, especially from 3 hours away.
If you don’t like the idea of being a landlord, but still think renting the house might be for you, consider letting us be your perfect tenant. We can lease the property from you at a monthly price that covers your expenses, and sublease to tenant who may want to purchase the home in a few years.
In other cases, we may help renegotiate a loan, help make monthly payments or conduct a short sale with a bank.
We love helping people solve complicated problems.
Creative solutions can bridge the gap to get you where you need to be.
Who Is Mastiff Home Buyers And How Can We Help You If You’re Relocating And Need To Sell In Kansas City ?
We’re investors. We support our families and beautify neighborhoods by buying houses from Kansas City home owners who need to sell fast for one reason or another.
The types of sellers who tend to work with us include people who…
- Need to sell fast
- Don’t want to hassle with listing a property with an agent
- Don’t want to pay real estate agent fees
- Can’t sell their house for one reason or another (we buy houses in as-is condition)
- … or a variety of other reasons
We are passionate people, and we love the Kansas City community.
We’re honest and straightforward.
We’ll quote you a fair price, and we can close fast with cash.
If you’re prepared to wait and can hire professionals to help, you can manage the sale of your property from a distance. In certain circumstances that risk can pay off.
We’re happy to help you find answers to your toughest questions about your Kansas City real estate, so please feel free to call us at 816-535-0076 and chat with us anytime.